ELECTION PROCESS FOR DEANS & SUB-DEANS
The Vice Chancellor, Professor Oluwatoyin T. Ogundipe, FAS has approved that the Election of Deans and Sub-Deans in the Faculties and School of Postgraduate Studies be conducted. Consequenstly, elections have been scheduled to hold between Wednesday, October 19, 2022 to Friday, October 21, 2022.
Those eligible to vote include all Academic staff that are:
./ Assistant lecturers and above,
./ Visiting lecturers/Professors
./ On Annual leave, maternity leave and Research Leave
•Those not eligible to vote include all Academic staff on:
./ Training leave
./ Leave of absence
./ Study leave
SCHEDULE OF ELECTION FOR DEANS AND SUB-DEANS OCTOBER 19-21, 2022
• Hard copy of the Proposal Form (nomination) must be lodged at the Senate and Ceremonies Unit not later than twenty-four (24) hours to the election date (i.e. by 10 a.m. of the day before the conduct of the election).
• Photograph of the proposed candidate should be glued or sellotaped (not stapled with pin) on the Proposal Form
• Eligible voters that have UNlLAG e-mail access complaints/issues should report through: helpdesk.unilag.edu.ng not later than 24 hours to the commencement of the voting exercise.
• Academic staff/Assembly of Teachers are kindly reminded that the password to their UNILAG email address is personal to them and would take responsibility for actions carried out through the email.
through their Heads of Department with the softcopy of their Identity Card, Letter of Appointment and Assumption of Duties Slip/Letter attached, not later than 24 hours to the commencement of the voting exercise.
• Visiting Lecturers/Professors who wish to vote, should request for a UNlLAG e-mail address from the Centre for Information Technology and Systems (CITS) by forwarding an email to: email@example.com
• The Proposed candidates (Nominees) are to indicate in writing to the Senate and Ceremonies Unit their availability or the availability of their representatives at the” Control Room” in CITS not later than 10a.m. of the day preceding the day of election.
The election of Deans and Sub-Deans in the various Faculties are scheduled as follows:
1. Election into the office of Dean and Sub-Dean will hold from Wednesday, October 19, 2022 to Friday, October 21, 2022.
2. In line with the tradition of the University, all appointments/elections into academic position terminates by 31st July of the academic year (with the exception of the Provost/Deputy Provost which ends by 31st December).
3. Consequently, all new and renewed appointments following the election shall end by 31st July 2024 unless re-elected/reappointed.
4. Deans shall hold office for two academic years in the first instance and is eligible for re-election for another two academic years only.
5. New Sub-Deans shall hold office for one academic year in the first instance and is eligible for re-election for another one academic year only.
PROCEDURE FOR e-VOTING
• In line with extant policy, election must hold during the Faculty Board of Studies. There is therefore the need to call a Faculty Board meeting – A Blended Faculty Board meeting (Physical and Virtual) should be constituted in line with current realities.
• The Blended meeting of the Board of Studies shall have in attendance, the representative of the Academic Affairs Directorate.
• To avoid a breach of the procedure on technical grounds, the blended meeting of the Faculty Board of Studies must have been duly (quorate) constituted by the Dean/Ag. Dean before the commencement of e-voting.
• The Zoom link for the Blended Faculty Board meeting shall be forwarded to Academic staff/Assembly of Teachers not later than twenty-four (24) hours to the scheduled date.
• Eligible voters shall receive access code to the voting platform in their UNlLAG email address during the Board of Studies meeting.
• Eligible voters shall proceed to vote on the voting platform as provided by CITS.
• The principle of ‘one man, one vote’ shall subsist, thus, eligible voters can only vote once.
• The respective Faculty Officers/SPGS representative, proposed candidates (nominees) or their representatives shall be required to be present at the “Control Room” in CITS during the period of voting to monitor the election as it progresses.
• E-voting shall commence strictly at the time scheduled for respective Faculties. It is important that Faculties keep to the time allocated.
• Results shall be made available on conclusion of the e-voting exercise.
•The Dean and Sub-Dean must emerge from different departments.
FIND BELOW SCHEDULE OF ELECTIONS AND PROPOSAL FORMS
Regulations Governing The Appointment of Dean And Sub-Dean