The Time-table for elections into executive positions in Faculties and Departments for the 2020/2021 academic session is as follows:
|1.||Wednesday, 04/08/21||Meeting with Sub-Deans/Staff Advisers|
|2.||Wednesday, 04/08/21||Release of 2020/2021 Election Guidelines for commencement of the electioneering campaigns in the Faculties and Departments|
|3.||Thursday, 05/08/21||Formation of Electoral Committees by the Sub-Dean/Staff Adviser and submission of the lists of Electoral Committees by the Dean of Student Affairs|
|4.||Friday, 06/08/21 –Wednesday, 18/08/21||Online filling and submission of nomination forms|
|5.||Thursday, 19/08/21||CITS generates and submits list of contestants to the DSA|
|6.||Friday, 20/08/21||Release of names of contestants on the University website and Student Affairs Notice Board|
|7.||Tuesday, 24/08/21||Presentation of manifestoes (to end by 6.00 p.m.)|
|8.||Wednesday, 25/08/21||Elections by e-voting in all Faculties and Departments (9.00 a.m. – 2.00 p.m.)|
|9.||Swearing in Ceremony for Elected, Executive members of Faculties and Departments|
Please note the following:
- The Faculty Election Committee shall comprise of representative from each Department in the Faculty.
- All registered students for the 2019/2020 are eligible to vote
- All final year students are eligible to vote but not eligible to contest
- All 2019/2020 Freshers are eligible to vote but not eligible to contest
- Students who have matriculated in a post-secondary/higher institution other than the University of Lagos are not eligible to serve in the Electoral committee or contest for any position
- Manifestoes should be presented at the contestants’ Faculties and should end by 6,00p.m. when students are physically on campus. Otherwise, manifestoes should be presented on Department and Faculty electronic platforms
- Elections will start by 9.00a.m. and end by 2.00p.m. The results of the election will be printed out at CITS in the presence of representatives of contestants, Security Unit, Dean, Student Affairs, Sub-Deans/ Staff Advisers and Chairmen of Electoral Committees.
Subsequently, the same results will be posted on the University website.
GUIDELINES FOR ELECTION INTO EXECUTIVE POSITIONS IN FACULTIES AND DEPARTMENTS FOR 2020/2021 ACADEMIC SESSION
The following guidelines are hereby issued for the conduct of elections into various executive positions in the Faculties and Departments for the 2020/2021 Academic Session.
The General Guidelines for the Elections are as follows:
- The Sub-Dean/Staff Adviser shall set up Electoral Committee to facilitate the campaign process and organize the manifesto presentation.
- The Sub-Dean/Staff Adviser shall submit the list of the Electoral Committee to the Dean of Student Affairs Division for screening and approval.
- The Sub-Dean/Staff Adviser shall supervise and coordinate the activities of the Electoral Committee.
- The Nomination forms shall be completed online by all candidates within the stipulated period.
- The outgoing Faculty/Departmental Executive Committee shall submit handover notes and financial report of their tenure endorsed by the Sub-Dean/Staff Adviser to the Dean, Student Affairs as a precondition for the issuance of certificate of service.
Eligibility of Candidates
6. (i) Candidates must have completed one full academic session in the University.
(ii) Must be on good academic standing with a CGPA which must not be less than 3.0.
(iii) Must not have a carryover pending as at the end of 2018/2019 academic session.
7. A candidate found guilty of misconduct by the University Management shall be disqualified from running for an elective post even after the election.
8. Any student discovered to have given wrong information will be disqualified and if elected, shall be removed to face disciplinary panel while the runner-up will be declared winner.
9. Students who have matriculated in a post-secondary higher institution other than the University of Lagos are not eligible to serve in the Electoral Committee or contest for any position.
10. Complaints arising from the election should be directed to the Dean, Student Affairs through the Sub-Dean/Staff Adviser.
11. (a) The Sub-Dean/Staff Adviser shall submit the list of the Electoral Committee to the Dean of Student Affairs for screening and approval.
(b) The Sub-Dean/Staff Adviser shall supervise and coordinate the activities of the Electoral Committees.
12. There shall be no voting by proxy.
13. No student holding an executive position in the Hall or Student Association/Society can hold another office in the Faculty/Department.
14. No student shall hold two elective positions in the same academic year in the University of Lagos.
15. The winner of the election shall be determined by simple majority of the votes cast. Where there is a tie, a re-run shall be conducted within 48 hours.
16. The results of the election shall be duly endorsed by the DSA or his representatives, Director, CITS, CSO, Sub-Dean/Staff Adviser, Chairmen of Electoral Committees.
17. Election Results shall be displayed on the University website to be available to all voters.
18. The Dean, Student Affairs shall set up an Election Petitions Committee.
19. Where a candidate(s) has/have any complain(s) against the conduct of any election, such complaint shall be communicated in writing to the Election Petitions Committee, set up by the Dean, Student Affairs, for adjudication within 24 hours after the results of election had been released.
20. No candidate shall be deemed to have been duly elected until any petition(s) pending for such an office has been finally disposed of.
21. The Sub-Dean/Staff Adviser has the responsibility of informing the Dean, Student Affairs of any defaulter of the Election Guidelines.
22. The Dean, Student Affairs or his representative shall flag-off and close the election on schedule.