The University of Lagos (UNILAG) Debate Team has once again raised the UNILAG flag high by emerging victorious at the 2021 edition of the Bounce Corruption National University Debate. The National Debate Competition which focused on Anti-Corruption was organised by Yiaga Africa and the MacArthur Foundation and held on Tuesday, July 13, 2021 in Abuja, Nigeria.
Nigerian students from 6 Universities across the country participated in the Debate. The participating schools were: University of Lagos, University of Jos, University of Benin, University of Maiduguri, Bayero University Kano, and Federal University of Technology Owerri.
For the preliminary round, each team debated on the affirmative and opposing side of three (3) topics below;
- This House believes that (THBT) Nigeria is winning the war against corruption.
- THBT accountability in Student Union Governments is paramount in the fight against corruption.
- THBT the establishment of special courts to try Corruption cases will improve the fight against corruption in Nigeria.
UNILAG Team debated the 3rd motion from the opposition side and won the round with a unanimous decision by the judges. This secured them a spot in the semi finals, a stage which the UNILAG Team prepared for within 10 minutes and delivered their argument on the motion provided by the judges. This they also won with a unanimous decision by the judges.
At the final stage, Team UNILAG debated in opposition on the motion “This House believes that the current structure of anti-corruption agencies, not the absence of political will impedes the effort to effectively fight corruption”.
This they also won with a unanimous decision by the judges, making them the champions at the 2021 edition of the Bounce Corruption National University Debate.
Members of the University of Lagos Debate Team are:
- Dr. Yewande Ntekim-Rex (UNILAG Debate Head Coach),
- Ehigbai Ohiewere (Research),
- Lawrence Ebosie (Speaker), and
- Abisola Fayinka (Speaker)