The Faculty of Law, University of Lagos will hold a Webinar to examine the significant provisions of the Nigeria Data Protection Bill 2020, which the Nigeria National Identity Management Commission (NNIMC) recently published a call for comments on.
The Webinar is scheduled as follows:
Date: Wednesday, September 9, 2020
Time: 4:30 p.m.
Join Zoom Meeting: https://wacren.zoom.us/j/65409673052
Meeting ID: 654 0967 3052
The Webinar, which will feature experts from both academia and industry, within and outside the Faculty, will examine the bill from four broad perspectives;
- the extent to which its provisions protect individuals’ fundamental rights, particularly their right to privacy.
- whether and how the Bill recognises and addresses challenges posed to processing of personal data by new technologies.
- the extent to which the Bill models best practices in established data protection regimes, and
- whether and how the Bill addresses the processing of children’s personal data as a particularly vulnerable group of technology users.
This bill is an important landmark in the development of data protection regime in Nigeria and after the webinar, the Faculty of Law, UNILAG will issue a communique.
- Dr Lukman Abdurauf , a human rights and data protection expert from the University of Ilorin, Kwara State;
- Dr Subhajit Basu, expert on EU and UK data protection laws from the University of Leeds, UK;
- Dr Iyabo Ogunniran, child rights expert from the University of Lagos;
- Damilola Salawu, Head of Practice and lead of Technology, Innovation and Fintech at Olaniwun Ajayi LP.
- Dr Akinola Akintayo, expert in human rights and emerging technologies regulation and governance, Faculty of Law, University of Lagos;
- Dr Adekemi Omotubora, expert on data protection and emerging technologies, Faculty of Law, University of Lagos.
Host: Professor Ayodele Atsenuwa, Ag. Dean, Faculty of Law, University of Lagos.
For enquiries, kindly call 09059620528