“In the pursuit of making the Institution a world-class hub of creative thinkers and harnessing potentials not just in Nigeria but internationally, the University continues to build partnerships with reputable institutions, the public sector, industry players, commercial enterprises and crucially, the media in achieving our laid down objectives as evident in my six-point agenda.“
– Professor Oluwatoyin T. Ogundipe, (Vice Chancellor, UNILAG)
This, among other things, was said by the Vice Chancellor, Professor Oluwatoyin T. Ogundipe, FAS, at the Pre-Convocation Press Conference held at the Senate Chamber, 2nd Floor, Senate House on Monday, March 2, 2020.
The Press Conference marked the commencement of the 2019 (51st Convocation Ceremony. The Vice Chancellor welcomed everyone to the Press Conference and stated the programmes lined up for the auspicious event.
In his speech, the Vice Chancellor mentioned that the Convocation Ceremonies would take place between Monday, March 2 and Friday, March 13, 2020 at the J.F. Ade. Ajayi Auditorium. The programmes lined for the Convocation is as follows:
- On Monday, March 9, 2020, the Convocation Lecture titled: “The Role of Disruptive Technologies In Sustainable Economic Transformation” will be delivered by the Honourable Minister of Communications and Digital Economy, Dr. Isa Ali Pantami, FNCS, FBCS, FIIM at the J.F. Ade. Ajayi Auditorium. The Lecture The Chairman of the Convocation Lecture is the Pro Chancellor and Chairman of Council, Federal University, Lokoja, Professor Nimi Briggs, OON, FWACS, FAS, FIPS.
- The same day, the University will commission the TETFund 500-seater capacity Lecture Teatre at the Faculty of Social Sciences and the Technology Hub Building donated by National Information Technology Development Agency (NITDA)
- The Chancellor’s Pre-Convocation Cocktail will also take place later in the evening
- On Tuesday, March 10, 2020, the Convocation proper would commence with the award of first degrees, diplomas, certificates and prizes to graduating students from the Faculties of Arts, Education, Environmental Sciences, Science and Social Sciences.
- Wednesday, March 11, 2020 will be dedicated to the award of first degrees, diplomas, certificates and prizes to graduating students from the Faculties of of Basic Medical Sciences, Clinical Sciences, Dental Sciences, Engineering, Law, Management Sciences, Pharmacy and Distance Learning Institute.
- Thursday, March 12, 2020 would be dedicated to the award of postgraduate diplomas, masters degrees and Ph.Ds to the students of the School of Postgraduate Studies and the conferment of Emeritus Professorship and Honorary Doctorate Degrees.
- On Friday, March 13, 2020, staff who have served the University meritoriously would be awarded the Long Service Award.
The Vice Chancellor, further shared the statistics of the graduating students as shown below:
- A total of 13,489 graduating students. Out of this number, 7198 (53.4%) will be awarded First Degrees while 6291 (46.6%) will be awarded Postgraduate Degrees.
- Out of the first degree graduating students, 281 graduated in the First Class Division while the Faculty of Engineering came out top on the list with 70 first-class graduating students, 2,139 finished in the Second Class Upper Division, 2870 are in the Second Class Lower Division, 1148 students graduating in the Third Class Division, 117 with Pass degree. A total of 453 have degrees that are not classified. The Diploma graduating class (being diploma in Human Kinetics and Health Education (HKHE) and Social Development and Administration (SDA) is 159.
- Also, the University will award 6,291 postgraduate degrees out of which 112 students will receive their Doctor of Philosophy Degrees (Ph.D) in various disciplines; 5,550 will receive their Master Degrees in the various fields across the University and 629 will receive Postgraduate Diplomas.
He also disclosed that ALIMI, Ibrahim Adedeji of the Department of Mechanical Engineering, Faculty of Engineering emerged the overall best graduating student and the best in the field of science with a Cumulative Grade Point Average of (4.98). He is closely followed by Popoola, Victoria Opeyemi of the Department of Economics, Faculty of Social Sciences emerged best graduating student in the Humanities with a Cumulative Grade Point Average of (4.90). he also noted that the overall best Ph.D. Thesis for this Year’s convocation ceremonies is entitled “Bio-Ecology, Immuno-Histochemistry and Genetic Heterogeneity of Portunid Species from the Coastal Waters of Lagos State, Nigeria” by Moruf, Rasheed Olatunji of the Department of Marine Science, Faculty of Science. The best Ph.D. thesis in the Humanities titled “Effects of Trade Flows and Institutions on Environmental Quality in Sub-Saharan Africa, 1996-2016 “ was by Mesagan, Peter Ekundayo from the Department of Economics, Faculty of Social Sciences.
He gave a further breakdown of the graduating students for each Faculty. He further disclosed that the award of Emeritus Professor shall be given to Professor Oye Ibidapo-Obe, a former Vice Chancellor of the University of Lagos and the award of Honorary degrees shall be given to Dr. Stella Ameyo Adadevoh, Alhaji (Dr.) Muhammadu Indimi and Chief Biodun Shobanjo.
He mentioned that the University has improved its ranking this year. He also mentioned some of the developments in the University some of which include: improved research, internationalisation and international partnerships; increased in entrepreneurship drive, improved staff and student welfare and security. He also disclosed some of the awards won by staff and students of the University
He thereafter revealed that preparation is ongoing as the best sporting facilities are being put in place for the success of the NUGA Games which the University is set to host and win in November 2020.
He mentioned the various infrastructure upgrade in the University, appreciated the kind gestures of the former Governor of Lagos State, great alumni and friends of the University.
Lastly, the Vice Chancellor listed out ways the University has impacted its immediate community as part of its community service.
Read the full speech HERE
Afterwards, the University Anthem was launched and rendered by the UNILAG Choir. The UNILAG Anthem portrays the mission, vision and core values of the University.
Click to watch the Pre-Convocation Press Conference
Click to watch the rendition of the University Anthem