The Board of the School of Postgraduate Studies (SPGS), University of Lagos (UNILAG), for the 2023/2024 Academic Session will be inaugurated on Thursday, September 14, 2023 at 10 a.m. at the SPGS Board Room, UNILAG, Akoka.
The event will also feature the presentation of the SPGS symbol, as well as unveiling of strategies being put in place to reposition the School for greater performance.
The SPGS Board is the highest decision making body of the School. It is responsible to the Vice Chancellor and Senate for general superintendence and policy formulation of the School.
The Terms of Reference of the Board include, among others:
- To ensure high quality Postgraduate programmes in the University relevant to manpower and developmental needs of society.
- To initiate and grow research in various departments and centres of the University.
- To set minimum regulations and standards, subject to approval by Senate for admission and graduation from any postgraduate programme in the University.
- To serve as the body, through which postgraduate programme regulations and procedures are developed.
- To consider and recommend for approval to Senate all results in postgraduate courses of study.
- To recommend for approval to Senate postgraduate courses of study.
- To review the curriculum, pedagogy and teaching methods of postgraduate programmes.
- To institute subject to approval, Graduate Fellowship and Teaching Assistantship Awards and Schemes to retain and further research.
- To serve as the body that deals with welfare of postgraduate students.
- To partner with Alumni and industry for linkages, funding and development.
- To review and recommend for approval to Senate, cases of student examination misconduct and disciplinary matters.
- To oversee all academic and administrative functions of the school.