Approximately ninety-six (96) days into office as the 13th Vice-Chancellor of the University of Lagos, Professor Folasade T. Ogunsola, FAS addressed the University Congregation for the very first time as the helmswoman of the institution on Thursday, February 16, 2023.
The address formed part of the agenda of the blended Congregation Meeting which was held physically at the J.F. Ade. Ajayi Auditorium, Main Campus, Akoka, and virtually via Zoom, after attendance quorum of over eight-hundred (800) was attained. The meeting also featured the election (electronic) of representatives of Congregation into statutory bodies of the University.
In her capacity as Chairperson, Professor Ogunsola who declared the Congregation open, highlighted activities embarked upon since the onset of her tenure as Vice Chancellor. She also spoke expansively on steps set in motion to be on top of the University processes and ensure the actualisation of the ‘Future Ready’ Agenda.
Her words, “In line with my vision, we have started to deploy the framework that encapsulates the four (4) growth pillars that will make us to be future ready. These are Financial Reengineering, Infrastructural Development, Reputation Building through Research and Manpower Development which produces the acronym (FIRM), an acronym that will be part of our cultural language.”
At the end of her address, Professor Ogunsola addressed several questions, ranging from implementation of the University Masterplan, staff welfare including housing and overtime amongst others, from members of Congregation.
The Registrar and Secretary to Congregation, Ọladẹjọ Azeez, Esq., thereafter gave a breakdown of nominated candidates and vacant positions for representatives of Congregation in the following statutory bodies of the University:
- Governing Council,
- Budget Monitoring Committee,
- Housing Committee and
- ISL Management Board.
The election which was conducted using an e-voting process, allowed members of Congregation to vote from independent locations. This also facilitated a speedy aggregation of the voting results. Director of GST , Professor Aderonke Lawal-Are, served as the Returning Officer for the elections.
The Registrar subsequently announced the winners as follows:
- Council Representative: Professor ADEBAMOWO, Mike Adeloye (Department of Architecture)
- Senate: All the ninety-eight (98) candidates were returned unopposed, as one third of the three hundred and thirty-three Professors (333) in Senate is one hundred and ten (110). The list of winners is available for download below:
- Budget Monitoring Committee Representative: ADEKOLA, Akeem Olalekan (Bursary)
- Housing Committee Representatives: AYENI, Ajoke M. (Centre for Information Technology and Systems, CITS) and Dr. IFARAJIMI, Wlliams Temitope (Department of Geoscience, Faculty of Science)
- ISL Management Board Representatives: AKEJU, Temidayo (Dean’s Office, Faculty of Social Sciences) and Dr. Akinfenwa Olusheye Aremu Akin (Department of Mathematics)
The Congregation is a constitutional body of the University, comprising of all first degree holders among the staff of the University.