It was a day to behold for the pioneer of the Chemical Engineering Department of the University of Lagos, Professor Ayodele Francis Ogunye, as his biography, “Trials, Triumphs & Legacy” written on the occasion of his 80th birthday celebration was unveiled.
The University of Lagos was a hum of activity, as members of the University community, family, friends, mentees of philanthropic professor trouped out in droves to witness, launch the biography as well as honour the brilliant academic and savvy businessman at the J. F. Ade. Ajayi Auditorium on Tuesday, July 26, 2022.
The book, written by one of his mentees and immediate past Vice-Chancellor of the University of Lagos, Professor Rahamon Adisa Bello and a Graduate of Economics, University of Lagos, Ms. Tofunmi Oluwashina, gives in comprehensive detail the life – journey and experiences – of the erudite scholar.
It was reviewed by the former Vice-Chancellor, Tai Solarin University of Education and professor of the Department of English, Professor Segun Awonusi. According to him, the book is in 7 parts, and contains 372 pages.
The Vice-Chancellor, University of Lagos, Prof. Oluwatoyin T. Ogundipe, FAS, in his remarks, welcomed everyone to the celebration of a professor of professors who has the fear of God, an industrialist, family man who has sacrificed so much for the system, among other things.
The Chairman of the occasion and Founder, FCMB, Otunba Subomi Balogun, expressed his joy at knowing a man like Professor Ogunye who is a wonderful being with a cheerful way of interacting with people.
Also at the event, the Chairman, Board of Professor Ayo Francis Ogunye Trust Fund, University of Lagos (PAFOTFUL), Chief J. J. Akpieyi made the presentation of the following prizes and research grant to deserving students:
- Dr. Ayowale Ogunye Scholarship to the Best 400l Student in Chemical Engineering – Idris Babatunde
- Dr. Ayowale Ogunye Scholarship to the Best Graduating Student in Chemical Engineering – Lambert Desmond
- Dr. Motayo Ogunye Prize to the Best student in Part 2 BDS – Olabiwonu Aliyat Oluwabusayo
- Dr. Motayo Ogunye Prize to the Best Graduating Student in BDS – Olabiwonu Aliyat Oluwabusayo
- Dr. Olayinka Ogunye Prize to the Best final year student in Preventive Dentistry – Ayodeji Adedamola Aminat
- Dr. Olayinka Ogunye Prize to the Best final year student in Child Dentistry – Ikioda Daniella Onaghe
- Dr. Ayokunle Ogunye prize to the Best final student in Paediatrics – Takuro Oluwagbemileke
- Best Graduating student in Obstetrics and Gynaecology – Fatima Morenikeji Adubiaro
Chief Akpieyi also presented the 2022 Research Grant Award of the Professor Ayo Ogunye Chair in Chemical Engineering to Dr. Kolawole Adisa Olonade, a Senior Lecturer of the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Lagos. The research grant with a value of One Million, five hundred thousand (N1, 500,000) was awarded for his research project titled, “Developing Ternary mixture of biowaste in Nigeria for Concrete Production”.
The pinnacle of the event was the formal unveiling of the book by the Chairman/CEO, Platform Capital Group, Dr. Akindele Akintoye, assisted by other dignitaries present. A modular refinery was also donated to the Department of Chemical Engineering on behalf of the celebrant by Platform Capital Group.
In his remarks, the elated celebrant, Professor Ayodele Francis Ogunye recounted his academic experiences and expressed profound and heartfelt gratitude to his wife, children, family, mentees, and friends for their love.