THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES OF PROFESSOR AYO OGUNYE PROFESSORIAL CHAIR IN CHEMICAL ENGINEERING
CALL FOR ENTRIES FOR RESEARCH GRANT AWARD COMPETITION IN CHEMICAL ENGINEERING (2022 EDITION)
Rules and Criteria
1. The Board of Trustees of the Professor Ayo Ogunye Professorial Chair in Chemical Engineering awards of
N1, 500,000.00 yearly grant to a member of staff.
2. A The Fund is designed for the exclusive use of the applicant for his/her research.
B. The main body of work must be undertaken by the applicant while the non-essential parts may be carried out by other parties.
3. It is expected that the grant will normally be used for the purchase of equipment, chemical and services.
4. Under the usual conditions of funding, no portion of the grant may be used for personal expenses such as the payment of an assistant or research student and will not normally be used for the purchase of books or subscriptions to journal or magazines. Only in exceptional circumstances, and specifically to aid the furtherance of the research programme, may a portion of the grant be used for travels, details of which must be explicitly stated in the application.
Application and Assessment
5. Applicants must be members of a University or others carrying out independent research in Nigeria.
6. Applications are limited to one per department and MUST be submitted through the Head of that department.
7. Preference is given to those working in less well-endowed institutions. Applicants from early to mid-career researchers are encouraged.
8. Persons employed as research students will not be considered for funding.
9. Applicants carrying out research under supervision are required to have their applications signed by their Supervisors.
10. All applicants will be required to provide the names of two referees (in addition to that of the Supervisor where criterion 9 is applicable). Normally, at least one of the referees should work in a different institution. Referees should provide a reference that assesses the content of the research proposal submitted.
11. Applicants are required to provide information on:
i . the nature of the research which he/she desires to engage in and the nature of the scientific results expected to follow there from;
ii. where the research is to be carried out;
iii. the approximate full cost of the research and a breakdown of the proposed spending (expenditure) should the grant be awarded. This should include quantities and approximate cost for each item; and
iv. what other sources of financial assistance are available to the applicant for research whether these are available in this instance and to what value.
12. Each grantee will be required to provide a midyear report (minimum of 1000 word) on the progress of the research at the end of six (6) months as well as detailed end of project report, together with a statement of expenditure. The end of project report should begin with a summary of the main conclusions of the research. The report itself should include an outline of the work done, techniques used, result obtained, conclusions reached and a judgment of the success or otherwise of the project, together with prospects for future development.
13. The applicant will be responsible for providing the report, for receiving and disbursing the monies and for the general conduct of the research.
14. All papers or publications describing investigations conducted with the aid of the Professor Ayo Ogunye Research grant must contain acknowledgment of that fact. One reprint each of such publications should be submitted with the report (see criterion 12) or as soon as possible thereafter.
15. A grant will not normally be awarded to the same applicant for more than two consecutive years.
16. The Trustees reserve the right to modify the size of the grants in accordance with the sums annually accruing to the fund.
17. The Trustees have the power to alter the above criteria and to attach any other conditions it may deem desirable
18. The Trustees reserve the right to withhold the grant in the absence of good applications in any year.
19. The Trustees decision is final and applications cannot be resubmitted or reconsidered in the same round.
SUBMISSION OF APPLICATIONS
JANUARY 31 TO APRIL 30, 2022
Please send your completed application to the e-mail address below: