This is to bring to the attention of the University Research community that the Tertiary Education Trust Fund (TETFund), has announced the process of accessing the 2021 NRF grant with submission of Concept notes.
Duration: The portal will be opened for the submission of Concept Notes from Monday, November 29, 2021 to Tuesday, December 28, 2021.
2021 Grant Application Thematic Areas
- Category 1 Humanities and Social Sciences
- Thematic Area 1 National Integration, Conflict, Defence and Security
- Thematic Area 2 Education and Human Capital
- Thematic Area 3 Economic Development and Globalization
- Thematic Area 4 History, Culture and Identities
- Thematic Area 5 Languages, Literatures and Media
- Thematic Area 6 Social Development and Welfare
- Thematic Area 7 Population and Migration
- Thematic Area 8 Governance, Politics, Law and Ethics
- Thematic Area 9 Tourism, Sports and Recreation
- Thematic Area 10 Gender, Equity and Social Inclusion
- Thematic Area 11 Humanities, Social-Sciences, Technology & Business
- Category 2 Science, Engineering, Technology & Innovation
- Thematic Area 12 Agriculture and Food Security
- Thematic Area 13 Health and Social Welfare
- Thematic Area 14 Transport
- Thematic Area 15 Power and Energy
- Thematic Area 16 IT, Commerce & Telecommunications
- Thematic Area 17 Space, Science and Technology
- Thematic Area 18 Geosciences
- Thematic Area 19 Science and Engineering
- Thematic Area 20 Water & Sanitation
- Thematic Area 21 Industry, Innovation & Infrastructure
- Thematic Area 22 Sustainable use of National Resources & Terrestrial Ecosystems
- Category 3 Cross-Cutting
- Thematic Area 23 Entrepreneurship & Water Creation
- Thematic Area 24 Environment, Housing & Urban and Regional Development
- Thematic Area 25 Resource Governance
- Thematic Area 26 Science, Technology and Innovation System Management
- Thematic Area 27 Blue Economy
- Thematic Area 18 Clean and Affordable Energy
Lecturers in any Public Tertiary Institutions in Nigeria are eligible. Multi-Disciplinary and Interdisciplinary Researched Projects, comprising Researchers from various disciplines, are most encouraged. The Principal Investigator (PI), must be preferably at least a Senior Lecturer to lead the Research Team and will be personally responsible, held accountable for the conduct of the research. An added requirement is that the PI must be institution based, with the PI’s institution regarded as the Coordinating Institution. However, in line with the approval of the Board of Trustees (BoT) of TETFund, additional members of the Research team can be drawn from Researches in Private Institutions, Research Institutes, Centre of Excellence and the Industry. This is consistent with the global best practice of involving non-governmental organisations and other non-state actors in Research Projects that are to address national needs.
The process of application is entirely on an online platform. The Principal Investigator (PI), is expected to visit – (nrf.tetfund.gov.ng) where he or she will be closely guided on the preparation and final submission of the Concept note.
All the submitted Concept Notes will be evaluated by the National Research Fund Screening and Monitoring Committee (NRFS & MC). The PIs of the successful Concept Notes will be communicated to proceed to the preparation of the Full Proposals which will also be processed outline. The PI and, at least a member of the Research Team of an adjudged fundable proposal, shall be invited to defend their proposal before the NRFS & MC. Thereafter, the successful proposals for grant awards will be presented to the Board of Trustees of TETFund for approval.
* This publication can also be reviewed on TETFund website: www.tetfund.gov.ng