On Saturday, February 9, 2019, the University of Lagos (UNILAG) represented by a team of students from various departments came first (1st) out of 14 universities that participated in the Nigerian version of CFA Institute 2018/2019 Research Challenge. These students are:
- Ubachukwu E. ANI (Department of Finance, Faculty of Management Sciences)
- Opeoluwa S. OLADAPO (Department of Finance, Faculty of Management Sciences)
- Adeola E. SANUSI (Department of Finance, Faculty of Management Sciences)
- Oluwaseyi H. AKINDUTIRE (Department of Economics, Faculty of Social Sciences)
- Doyinsola M. POPOOLA (Department of Accounting, Faculty of Management Sciences)
The Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) Research Challenge is a global competition run by CFA Institute. This year, the event, which took place at the Civic Centre, Ozumba Mbadiwe Road, Victoria Island, Lagos, Nigeria, was hosted by the CFA Society Nigeria in collaboration with Zenith Bank plc. Of the fourteen (14) universities that participated, nine (9) made it to Lagos for the national finals.
The 9 finalists are:
- University of Lagos (UNILAG);
- Covenant University;
- Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU);
- University of Ibadan (UI);
- University of Ilorin (UNILORIN);
- University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN);
- University of Calabar (UNICAL);
- University of Abuja (UNIABUJA) and
- University of Maiduguri (UNIMAID).
Team UNILAG snagged the first position in the competition, while Covenant University, took second position (first runner up) and Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU) came third (second runner up).
By virtue of emerging first place winner, Team UNILAG has been bestowed the honour of representing Nigeria at the EMEA (Europe, the Middle East and Africa) regional finals holding, April 10th and 11th, 2019, at Zurich, Switzerland. About forty (40) other countries will compete at this stage and only two (2) will make it to the global finals in New York, USA, where the global champions will be determined between April 23rd and 25th 2019.
Team UNILAG was coordinated by Dr. Peter N. Amah, the Faculty Adviser from the Department of Finance, University of Lagos.
The Vice Chancellor, Professor Oluwatoyin T. Ogundipe, FAS, on behalf of Management, Senate, staff, students and other members of the University community congratulates the above mentioned students and Dr. Amah, their Faculty Adviser on this meritorious achievement. He wishes them success in the forthcoming EMEA regional finals and the global finals in New York. He enjoins them to continue portraying the University of Lagos in good light and do the University proud.