The forms are to be completed by all Senior Administrative, Secretarial and Technical Staff (whether or not they are being recommended for promotion/confirmation/annual increment).
Departmental Heads are to:
- Ensure proper completion of the Appraisal Forms.
- Be consistent in their evaluation.
- Reflect the relative contribution of each member of staff to overall goal of the respective departments. The detailed report must cover punctuality, job performance, effectiveness, efficiency, character of the staff being reported, etc.
- Set up DEPARTMENTAL PROMOTIONS COMMITTEE to scrutinize the forms of all their staff before final recommendations (minutes of the Departmental Promotion Committee meeting should be attached) are forwarded to the Administrative and Technical Staff Unit for Senior Staff. This procedure will minimize cases of oversight, inadequate information on salary, qualification, etc.
The Administrative and Technical Staff Unit will then collate these recommendations put forward through the said Promotions Committee and supported by the Dean or Head of Department/Unit or Chairman, Management Board, for the consideration of the Administrative and Technical Staff Committee.
Recommendations for promotion must be justified based on one or more of the following reasons:
- Reward for outstanding staff who have made substantial contribution towards the achievement of the goals and objectives of their respective departments or the University as a whole;
- Increased responsibility arising from either the growth of the department or unforeseen circumstances or both;
- Expanded schedule of duties;
- Acquisition of a higher qualification where this affects grading.
The following guidelines should also be observed when recommendations for promotions and confirmation of appointment are made:
- Recommendations for promotions should be based on the assessment of candidates’ overall performance within the last three consecutive reporting years and should reflect contribution of candidates to the goals of the Faculty, Department/Unit and University of Lagos.
- Members of staff on permanent appointment, whose appointment have NOT been confirmed, are NOT eligible for promotion.
- A member of staff on temporary appointment should NOT be recommended for promotion until such appointment is regularized.
- Where appropriate, the qualifications and experience stipulated in the Career Structure should be considered for recommendations to appropriate posts.
- The baseline for promotion (not involving the skipping of salary scale) is THREE (3) YEARS e. 1st October, 2014.Where promotion involves the skipping of salary scales, the baseline is FOUR (4) YEARS i.e. 1st October, 2013. (The given baseline is the guideline for eligibility of staff only and not an indication that recommendation for promotion/confirmation MUST be made.)
- The APER Forms of any member of staff who has not worked for more than six months in a Unit should be referred to the staff’s previous place of work for proper assessment. (Where Applicable)
After completion, the forms should be returned to the Assistant Registrar (Administrative and Technical Staff Unit) in three (3) batches as follows:
- Batch 1: Those recommended for annual increment only.
- Batch 2: Those recommended for promotion (2 copies of APER Forms and 2 copies of the attached Promotion format).
- Batch 3: The Appraisal Forms with 2 copies of the three years’ assessment format of recommendations should be processed and forwarded together with photocopies of their credentials and last letter of promotion/appointment.
Completed APER Forms should reach the Administrative and Technical Staff Unit, 2nd Floor, Senate House, not later than June 30, 2017.
Please note that:
- The completed Appraisal Forms in respect of all staff in each department must be forwarded en-bloc with photocopies of relevant documents and credentials as soon as possible but not later June 30, 2017.
- Each staff should correctly and properly complete his/her own sections of the APER Form.
- Each Dean/Head of Department should carefully peruse the APER Forms duly filled by his/her staff, and ensure that all sections are properly and correctly completed.
- Any claim(s) with regards to possession of qualifications and experience should be scrutinized and attested to by each Head of Department.
- THERE WILL BE PENALTIES FOR MISINFORMATION AND DISTORTION OF FACTS ALREADY PRESENTED TO THE PERSONNEL UNIT. ALL DEGREES AND CERTIFICATES IN VIEW SHOULD NOT BE INCLUDED.