This is a call for the submission of manuscripts presented at the 2018 Unilag Annual Research Conference and Fair for possible publication in the two journals of the University of Lagos, UNILAG Journal of Humanities (UJH) and UNILAG Journal of Medicine, Science, and Technology (UJMST). The Journals are published biennially in June and December.
Following are the Author’s Guidelines which must be strictly adhered to by respondents:
1. Manuscript must contain research results that have not been published or submitted for publication elsewhere.
2. Author(s) is (are) required to confirm that manuscript’s content has not been published elsewhere. Where significant portion of manuscript has appeared in thesis or dissertation, peer-reviewed workshop/conference proceedings, at least 30% of manuscript must contain new content over previous publication, and the latter MUST be cited.
3. Manuscript in Microsoft Word format (including illustrations) must not exceed 20 (12-font-size) double-spaced, Times New Roman-typed A4 pages, and must include the following information:
A. Title page:
This should contain:
(i) Title of the paper (written in 12-font-size in bold capital letters) should not exceed 21 words and must describe the contents of the papers.
(ii) Authors’ Names (Surname and Initials) using title case in 10 font size in bold letters should be written a space below the title of the paper. The surname of the corresponding author (in front) should be asterisked (superscript).
- Address and affiliations of authors should be written using 10-font-size in unbold title case.
- The e-mail address of the corresponding author should be provided below the address of the authors using this format *corresponding author: firstname.lastname@example.org
(iii) Abstract (10-font-size, italicized in capital letters)
- No other headings should be provided within the abstract. The content of the abstract should be italicized and not exceeding 250 words.
- The Abstract should be informative and completely self-explanatory, briefly present the topic, state the scope of the experiments, indicate significant data, and point out major findings and conclusion.
- Complete sentences, active verbs, and the third person should be used, and the abstract should be written in the past tense.
- No literature should be cited.
(iv) Keywords: Not more than five words should be provided below the abstract using unbold title case.
B. Body of the Manuscripts:
Manuscripts should be organized using some or all of the following major headings (in bold capital letters): Introduction, Experimental Procedure or Materials and Methods, Results, Discussion, Conclusion, Recommendation(s), Acknowledgement and References. Secondary headings should be in bold title case while tertiary headings are to be in unbold title case.
Tables, Graphs and Pictures should be of quality. The titles of the Tables and Figures should be in unbold sentence case. They must be located close to where they are cited in the text. Tables, Equations, Maps, Charts and Diagrams should be referred to as Table (*); Eq. (*); Fig. (*); and numbered in sequence in Arabic numerals. All measurements must be in metric units. Only horizontal lines should be used for the Tables. Vertical lines are not permitted. Titles of the table should appear on top of the Tables and the titles of the figure should appear below the figures.
D. For studies involving human subjects, Institutional Ethical Approval must be obtained and a copy included in the submission. Informed consent should be obtained from the subject(s).
E. References in text should be cited by surnames of authors and year of publication e.g Bello (2012) (APA system). For manuscripts written by three or more authors, et al. should be used after the name of the first author, e.g. Bello et al. (2012) should be used at the beginning of sentences or (Bello et al., 2012) should be used after the sentences. References should be listed alphabetically with full listing of all authors. Several articles by the same authors should be listed chronologically. If more than one article, by the same author or team of authors, was published in the same year; the letters a, b, and c, etc, should follow the year – e.g. Okunuga (1987a), (1987b) in both the text and the reference list. Full title of article and names of all co-authors must be given. Dates of which articles are accessed from internet need not be included in the reference. References must be left justified. Approved standard journal names abbreviations should be used. For example:
Bello, R. A. and Alo, B. I. (2005), New Approaches to selecting BOT Chairman. Int. J. Nigerian Politics, 21:37-41
Sofola, O. A. (1999). Blood flow techniques in clinical neurosurgery. In: Jaja, S. I. and Akinbo, S. R. (Eds) Blood Flow through Organs and Tissues. E.S. Livingstone Ltd., Edinburgh, pp 349-354.
Authors are expected to:
- Submit a soft copy of the revised manuscripts, in accordance with the Author’s Guidelines, to email@example.com (for Humanities) or firstname.lastname@example.org (for Sciences) and
- Submit four hard copies to the Secretariat at Room 707, Senate House, University of Lagos, Akoka.
In addition, authors are to provide the following information in their submissions:
- Manuscript’s reference number on the Annual Research Conference Programme for easy referencing,
- Contact details (Department, Name, E-mail & GSM) for ease of reaching out to the author, if need be.
Deadline for the submission of hard and soft copies is 4pm on Friday, 28th September, 2018.