The APER Forms for non-teaching staff (Senior) are now ready for downloading by logging on to www.unilag.edu.ng to download the related link under Staff Login (read more). The forms are to be completed by Senior Administrative, Secretarial and Technical Staff, whether recommended for promotion/confirmation/annual increment or not. Departmental Heads are urged to kindly ensure proper completion of the Appraisal Forms.
Heads of Department are advised to be consistent in their evaluation and their comments should reflect the relative contribution of each member of staff to overall objectives of the respective departments. The detailed report must cover punctuality, job performance, character of the staff being reported, etc.
Heads of Department are reminded to institute a DEPARTMENTAL PROMOTIONS COMMITTEE. It is expected that minutes of the Departmental Promotion Committee meeting should be attached. Scrutinize the forms of all staff in the department before the final recommendations are forwarded to the Administrative and Technical Staff Unit for Senior Staff. This procedure will help minimize cases of oversight, inadequate information on salary, qualification, etc.
Kindly bring to the notice of staff in your department that there will be penalty for misinformation and distortion of facts presented to the Personnel Unit. Degrees and certificates IN VIEW should NOT be included.
The Administrative and Technical Staff Unit will thereafter collate the recommendations as forwarded by the Departmental Promotions Committees and supported by the Dean or Head of Department/Unit or Chairman of the Management Board, for the consideration of the Administrative and Technical Staff Committee.
Recommendations for promotion must be justified based on one or more of the following reasons:
- Reward for outstanding staff who have made substantial contribution towards achievement of the objectives of their respective departments or the University as a whole;
- Increased responsibility arising from either the growth of the department or unforeseen circumstances or both;
- Expanded schedule of duties;
- Acquisition of a higher qualification where this affects grading.
The following guidelines should be observed when recommendations for promotions and confirmation of appointment are made:
- Recommendations for promotions should be based on the assessment of candidates’ overall performance within the last three consecutive reporting years and should reflect contribution of candidates to the objectives of the Faculty, Department/Units and University of Lagos.
- Staff on permanent appointment, whose appointment have NOT been confirmed are NOT eligible for promotion.
- A member of staff on temporary appointment should NOT be recommended for promotion until such appointment is regularized.
- Where appropriate, the qualifications and experience stipulated in the Career Structure, should be considered in recommendations to appropriate posts.
- The baseline for confirmation of appointment is 2 calendar years.
- The baseline for promotion (without the skipping of salary scale) is Three (3) years i.e. October 1, 2015. Where promotion involves the skipping of salary scales, the baseline is four (4) years i.e. October 1, 2014.
The given baseline is the guideline for eligibility of staff only and not an indication that recommendation for promotion/confirmation MUST be made.
- APER FORM of any member of staff who has not worked for more than six months in a Unit should be referred to the staff’s previous place of work for proper assessment.(where applicable)
After completion, the form should be returned to the Senior Assistant Registrar (Administrative and Technical Staff Unit as the case may be in three (3) batches as follows:
- Those recommended for annual increment only.
- Those recommended for promotion (2 copies of APER Forms and 2 copies of the attached Promotion Format).
The Appraisal Forms with 2 copies of the three years’ assessment format of recommendations (see attached) should be processed and forwarded together with photocopies of their credentials and last letter of promotion/appointment.
Completed APER FORM (copy in MS word format soft and hard copies) should reach the Administrative and Technical Staff Unit, 2nd Floor, Senate House, not latter than 30th June, 2018. The soft copy can be in CD or forwarded to email@example.com.
Any claim(s) with regards to possession of qualifications and experience should be scrutinized and attested to by each Head of Department.
- It is important to emphasize again that all completed Appraisal Forms in respect of all staff in each department must be forwarded en-block with photocopies of relevant documents and credentials as soon as possible but not later than 30th June, 2018.
- Each staff should correctly and properly complete his/her own sections of the APER FORM.
- Each Dean/Head of Department should peruse carefully the APER Forms duly filed by his/her staff, and ensure that the staff’s sections are properly and correctly completed.