The present General Studies Programme came into being many years back consequently upon the statute of the National University Commission to all the Federal Universities and other Higher Institution of Learning to embark upon and pass before graduation, certain courses of general and diverse nature for the students. In the past, the courses offered were called General African Studies (GAS) and the Co-ordinating office was known as GAS Office. It was then coordinated by Prof. (Mrs.) Sophia Oluwole.
The GAS Office then was at the Ground floor of the Faculty of Arts Building. Later, GAS Office was renamed GST Unit and presently GST Centre.
FUNCTIONS OF THE GST OFFICE
Among the primary functions performed by the GST centre are:
- Arrangement, supervision, monitoring and co-ordination of both the teaching staff/ Lecturers and lectures sites during the period of studies in each semester.
- Collecting examination materials such as stationery from the Examinations Office and Answer scripts from the ARMIS unit of the Academic office of the University.
- To ensure liaison between the centre and the Central Examinations Committee for the setting and, conduct of examinations and other academic and administrative arrangements that may be considered expedient.
- Effecting the marking of GST Examinations scripts by the ARMIS Unit after each semester examinations.
- Releasing of the Results of such examinations stated above.
- Attending to Students complaints
- Holding of occasional meetings with GST Lecturers and course C0-ordinators with a view to effecting efficient administrative and academic performance by the Centre in the discharge of its duties and assigned roles to the University of Lagos in general and, the Students in particulars.
- Storing of, and keeping records of completed examinations materials, results and other very important documents relating to the GST examinations for record purposes.
- Preparation of Annual Financial Estimates for the Centre’s annual financial needs and forwarding same to the Bursary Department for its (Bursary) further necessary actions and implementation.
- Performance of any other assignments and duties that may arise from time-to-time.